Bits, bytes, logic, RAM, CPUs, hard drives and SSD drives. Master the geeky acronyms and simplify computer hardware & terminology with ease.
Computer hardware with all its technical jargon can be baffling, even for the moderately experienced user.
- This book is ideal for a computing course, whether in high school, college or first degree.
- Step-by-step, visual approach to help you quickly decode the jargon
- Plenty of full color, illustrated screenshots and photographs to help you
- Presented in an easy and simple to read format.
This book looks at
- Computer fundamentals: logic gates, binary arithmetic, hexadecimal, and number base conversions
- Data compression and encryption
- Hardware components: CPUs, RAM, Hard Drives, Portable Drives, video cards memory cards, motherboards, and the BIOS
- Inside the CPU, CPU architecture, instructions sets, and the fetch execute cycle
- Data Storage: bits, bytes, kilo bytes, megabytes, giga bytes and tera bytes
- Computer ports: VGA, HDMI, DVI, USB 2&3, FireWire, RJ45 ethernet, eSATA and more
- Different types of computer: desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets, hybrids and supercomputers
- Operating systems: process management, memory management, file management
- Computer Software: applications, system software
- Computer peripherals: laser and inkjet printers Types of computer networks,
- Network topologies, LANs, WANs, MANs, fibre optics and ethernet
- WiFi and Cellular internet connections
- The internet: email, the cloud, the world-wide web, and packet switching
- IP Addressing, web servers, DNS servers and DHCP servers, TCP/IP model, OSI model
- and more…
Techniques are illustrated step-by-step using full color photography and screen prints throughout, together with concise, easy to follow text from an established expert in the field, provide a comprehensive guide to computer systems.